The Power House of Ghana tertiary sports, University of Education, Winneba secures twenty-five medals in athletics.
UEW has won twenty-five medals in athletics in the ongoing Ghana Universities Sports Association games which is being staged in Legon, Accra.
The medals includes ten gold, nine silver and six bronze medals.
Notable ones which saw UEW to have made waves in the ongoing tourney was William Amponsah who shattered a record of 14:56:25 mins and 32:29 mins to set a record of 14:19:025 mins 29:53 mins in the 5,000 meters and 10,000 meters respectively to win two gold medals.
Also, the quartet of Neenyi Akese Arthur, Prince Charles Frimpong, Israel Anane and Owusu Gad override a record of 3:11 mins to 3:09 mins in the men’s 4x400m and subsequently won gold.
Below is the medals table for team UEW:
1. William Amponsah (Gold 5000m)
2. Acheampong El Shaddai (Gold shot put Women)
3. Baah Charles (Gold 1500m)
4. Goalball (Gold Men)
5. 4×400m (Men Gold)
6. Owusu Gad (400m Men Gold)
7. William Amponsah (10,000m Gold)
8. Baah Charles (800m Men Gold)
9.Discus (Men Gold)
10. Discus (Women Gold)
11. Faustina Owusu (silver shot put)
12. Horia Hana (silver high jump)
13. Appiah Sandra (silver 100m hurdles)
14. Ibrahim Mariama (silver Tennis singles)
15. 200m Men (silver)
16. High Jump (Women silver)
17. 5000m (Women silver)
18. Tennis Women doubles(silver)
19. Tennis Men doubles (silver)
20. Fuseini Ibrahim (Bronze (100m)
21. Bernard Ashitey Armaah (Bronze Tennis singles)
22. Ibrahim Mustapha (Bronze 110m finals)
23. Goalball (Women Bronze)
24. Discus (Women Bronze)
25. 400m Hurdles (Women Bronze)
Breakdown of medals for team UEW:
Gold – 10
Silver – 9
Bronze – 6
By: Fareed Mohammed Awal