The Power House of Ghana tertiary sports University of Education, Winneba has secured eleven medals in athletics after day one.
UEW are displaying a super performance after they won four golds, four silvers, and three bronze medals in the ongoing Ghana Universities Sports Association Games which is being hosted in Legon, Accra.
The Winneba-based school started making waves after their athletes exhibited scintillated and magnificent performances in the various athletics events.
William Amponsah of UEW won gold in the men’s 5000m finals after he shattered a record of 14.56.25 mins to set a new one of 14.19.025 mins.
Notwithstanding Charles Baah who came from behind to leapfrog his opponents and subsequently won the men’s 1,500m.
Also, Acheampong El Shaddai won gold for UEW in the women’s shot put finals and the fourth gold which was born from the men’s goalball team.
Below is the medal table for team UEW in the athletics after they one:
- William Amponsah (Gold 5000m)
- Acheampong El Shaddai (Gold shot put Women final)
- Baah Charles (Gold 1500m)
- Goalball (Gold Men)
- Faustina Owusu (silver shot put)
- Gloria Nana (silver high jump)
- Appiah Sandra (silver 100m hurdles)
- Ibrahim Mariama (silver Tennis singles)
- Fuseini Ibrahim (Bronze (100m)
- Bernard Ashitey Armaah (Bronze Tennis singles)
- Ibrahim Mustapha (Bronze (Bronze 110m finals)
UCC currently tops the overall medal table with seven golds, with UEW and UDS having four each whereas as UG has two.
By: Fareed Mohammed Awal